We know how important it is to maintain your green lifestyle even while you’re on the go. Taking a vacation doesn’t have to mean sacrificing your commitment to the environment. There are so many little things you can do that make a world of difference. That’s why we’ve compiled some helpful tips for practicing sustainable travel in western NC so that you can plan a responsible getaway! For more local insight on the best things to do during your North Carolina mountain retreat, take a look at our complimentary Vacation Guide!
Do you need help planning the ultimate getaway?
4 Tips for Practicing Sustainable Travel in Western NC
1. Bring Your Own Water Bottle
By now you have probably heard that single-use plastics are bad for the environment. Instead of purchasing bottled water while you’re traveling or staying in a destination, consider using a reusable water bottle instead. A reusable water bottle is less likely to end up in landfills, and using one also helps protect our waters and wildlife.
2. Consider Your Method of Transportation
Pro Travel Tip: When traveling, slow is the way to go. Typically, the slower it takes to get somewhere, the better the method of transportation is for the environment. Road trips are an adventurous alternative to plane travel when the option is possible! If your destination is accessible via train, consider that as well!
3. Explore Eco-Friendly Outdoor Adventures in Western NC
Learning about local ecosystems, nature reserves, and parks can help the overall cause of natural preservation. One way to do this is by exploring the great outdoors! You’ll have no trouble finding natural wonders in Western North Carolina. Some of our favorite activities include:
- Visiting a state park
- Discovering breathtaking waterfalls
- Exploring the Foothills Equestrian Nature Center
- Going horseback riding in the mountains
- Seeking out the best mountaintop views
- Birdwatching in the woods
- & more!
4. Support Local Businesses
In addition to being environmentally aware, sustainability is a responsibility for promoting a sense of appreciation for the local communities we visit. The best way to do this while you’re traveling is to support local businesses! Dine at a farm-to-table restaurant. Shop at a mom and pop store. Hire local tour guides. Not only do these choices help fuel local economies, but they also allow for a more authentic experience.
Witness The Orchard Inn’s Green Initiatives
While considering sustainable travel in Western NC, you’ll want to choose a place to stay that prioritizes their commitment to the environment and the local community. That’s why our property is a top choice for eco-friendly accommodations! Their green initiatives include:
- Offering a Tesla and Electric Vehicle charging station for guests and others passing through the Asheville area
- Featuring energy-efficient glass that still retains the classic look and feel of the historic property
- Reducing plastic waste by providing guests with luxurious shampoo and body bars
- Almost exclusively use local ingredients in the food at our restaurant
- & composting food waste and use it to fertilize our organic vegetable garden
In addition to working towards a sustainable mission, our property offers comfortable accommodations, delicious dining options, and luxurious amenities to ensure that your stay is one you’ll remember for a lifetime!
Are you ready to book the ultimate getaway?