Winter in the mountains is one of our favorite times of the year. A blanket of white snow covers the peaks and trees– everywhere you look glistens and glimmers in the sun. Spend your days hiking through snowy trails before cozying up with your sweetheart in front of a warm fire. Here’s your packing list for a winter mountain vacation!
Are you ready for your winter getaway? Use our complimentary Vacation Guide to start planning your trip to the mountains of Western North Carolina!
Our Packing List for a Winter Mountain Vacation
The most important thing to keep in mind when creating your packing list is to know what kind of activities you will enjoy while on vacation. The packing list below is created for guests of Orchard Inn; our mountain town offers outdoor activities as well as indoor.
- A winter jacket– Winter temperatures in the mountains of North Carolina can be below freezing, although they usually range from the 30s to 50s. You’ll need a winter coat if you plan on walking around outside!
- Winter accessories– If you’re planning on taking a day trip to Asheville or going on a winter walk, you might want to bring some extra accessories to keep you warm. A hat and gloves are always great to have in the cold!
- Sweaters– Layers are your friend when creating your packing list for a winter mountain vacation, especially with fluctuating weather. Sweaters are the perfect layering option, so you’ll want to bring a few along.
- Warm shirts
- Jeans and pants
- Socks– If you’re planning on walking around outside, we recommend socks that are quick-drying. Sometimes, thick socks seem like a better choice, but they take much longer to dry if they get damp.
- Undergarments– These speak for themselves!
- Dinner attire– If you’re dining at Newman’s Restaurant at Orchard Inn, you’ll want to dress up a bit! Dinner attire is smart casual– jackets are suggested but not required for gentlemen, and jeans are not appropriate.
- Sweatshirt and/or fleece– A heavy winter jacket might get too warm depending on where you’re exploring and what time of winter you visit. Layer a sweatshirt over your warm clothes! Always check the weather before you go outside during the winter, then use your best judgment.
- Waterproof hiking boots– If you’re exploring the great outdoors, waterproof shoes are a must!
- Hat and gloves
- Hand warmers
- Thermal undergarments– While our winter temperatures are pretty mild at Orchard Inn, hikes to higher elevations can get very cold. The rule of thumb is that the temperatures will drop an average of 3.5 degrees for every 1,000 feet you gain in elevation. So, if you’re at the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains, some thermal undergarments might come in handy!
Book Your Mountain Getaway Today
Perched on top of a mountain in Saluda, North Carolina, Orchard Inn is the perfect winter getaway. Get cozy in front of one of our fireplaces– we have a gorgeous fireplace in our common area, and some of our cottages have their own. Now that you have your packing list for a winter mountain vacation, you can start planning your getaway! Browse our accommodations and book your stay today.