For some of us, thinking about going on vacation can mean a lot of different things. It can be just a quick trip to get away from it all or going somewhere unexpected to experience new cultures. For those of us who love to get away to the mountains, spending a day in a state park is the perfect way to satisfy our need for nature. We at Orchard Inn have guests who love to do a host of activities while they are here. Many enjoy going to our local parks and forests for a day and one we highly recommend is DuPont State Recreational Forest. Let’s have a look at how you can spend some time there.
Where is DuPont State Recreational Forest?
Luckily for you, DuPont State Recreational Forest isn’t that far from us which is why it make a perfect choice for a day trip. It is located west of us in Saluda in Cedar Mountain which is close to Hendersonville and Brevard. It is a little bit over the South Carolina/North Carolina border and is around 20 miles from us.
What is there to do at the DuPont State Recreational Forest?
You may be wondering how to spend your time there and trust us, you will want to plan a bit as there are so many things to see and do. One of our first recommendations would be to have a look at their waterfalls and see which ones you would like to visit.
There are 3 there that are gorgeous.
- Bridal Veil Falls– It was featured in the movie Last of the Mohicans and the way the falls spill over is so light that it looks like a veil. There are two new trails that will lead you to the falls as many of the trails are now owned by the DuPont Corporation.
- Triple Falls– It’s not every day where you can see 3 waterfalls in one so you should consider putting this one on your list. While it is one waterfall, there are 3 separate cascades that total in a 120-foot drop. From there you can continue onto other falls or go back the way you came.
- Grassy Creek Falls– This type of waterfall is called a waterslide and is one of a few in DuPont State Recreational Forest. It has a gentle way about it and there is also a new trail that has been opened leading you to an observation point.
What Else Can I Explore at DuPont State Recreational Forest?
You may be wondering what else there may be to do while you are there besides look at waterfalls and hike trails. There are 2 other wonderful attractions that will not only give you a great workout but give you amazing views as well.
- Cedar Rock Mountain– This area is popular with bikers as well as hikers as there is a ton of exposed granite that makes it easy to hike. The views you get are spectacular and the topography of the area is very interesting.
- Stone Mountain– If you are looking for a rewarding hike, then be sure to consider Stone Mountain. It is the highest peak in DuPont State Recreational Forest at 3,600 feet. There are two ways to access it, all depending on how much you want to climb. When you get to the top you will have anywhere from an 180 to 360-degree view of the surrounding area.
Before you go, be sure to check out their most recent maps so you can plan your trip!
As you can see, there are so many ways to enjoy a fun and relaxing day at DuPont State Recreational Forest. When you do decide to spend some time in the Western North Carolina mountains, consider staying with us at Orchard Inn. Our tranquil B&B is perfect for those who are looking to get away from it all. You will love spending time here in your room or on the property because we have fantastic views of our local mountains too. Each morning start your day with us by having a hearty breakfast before you start out on the trails.
Contact us today and start planning your trip to our beautiful mountains! Be sure to request our Vacation Guide so you can learn all about this area before you come.