When you decide to take a trip to the North Carolina mountains, one of the top things to do is to spend almost all of your time outdoors in nature. It’s hard to not want to since our area is so beautiful. We at Orchard Inn are so fortunate to live in a place like the mountains and help our guests discover ways to enjoy them while they are here. Since spring is right around the corner, this is the best time to go check out our local North Carolina waterfalls. They can be at their peak at this time of year when the snows from here, as well as further north, have started to melt and the waters flow downstream. Come see our favorite local North Carolina waterfalls!
First, there are a couple of ways to see our waterfalls and the most obvious way is to just go out there and see them. However, if you aren’t very familiar with trails and don’t like going on your own, we have 2 companies to suggest that have wonderful waterfalls tours for you to go on. The first is Tumblestone Tours. They depart from Asheville and offer tours of 3 waterfalls and 2 protected forests on their tour. These are usually along the Blue Ridge Parkway and you will get great views from the ride as well as the walk. If you are looking for something slightly more thrilling then we suggest Green River Adventures’ Big Bradley Waterfall Rappel. You will get to rappel down a 30ft vertical rock face. Be sure to plan on getting splashed by the falls as you climb down!
North Carolina Waterfalls:
Here are 6 close by waterfalls that would make a lovely day trip from us at Orchard Inn.
- Crabtree Falls-Located about 45 miles north of Asheville along the Blue Ridge Parkway, this can be an ideal spot for those who like to have a bit of a hike. You can choose between a 3 mile or a 3.5-mile trek to the 70 ft falls.
- Dry Falls– This waterfall is located in Highlands and what makes this one so unique is that it has the ability to go behind the waterfall for a great view out. The walk to this one is a lot shorter and parts can be seen from the parking lot.
- Looking Glass Falls-Just like Dry Falls, this area is also a short walk and is the perfect place to go for those with mobility issues. This is a popular place to go to spend time walking and exploring the falls or climbing on the nearby rocks.
- High Falls-Located in DuPont State Recreational Forest this ever changing waterfall is a sight to see. It stands 150 feet tall and it is well worth the 1.2-mile hike to get there. There are also many nearby waterfalls that can make a wonderful addition to your stop there. Just be sure to go to the Visitor’s Center to get a map.
- French Broad, Shoal Creek, and Cathedral Falls-If you are short on time and want the most bang for your hike then we suggest these. They are located between the Blue Ridge Parkway and Brevard.
- Hickory Nut-This 404 foot waterfall is one of the best in North Carolina that you have to see. It is located in Chimney Rock State Park, which also is a great place to go, and a short 3/4 of a mile hike will get you an unclose view!
As you can see, some of the most beautiful North Carolina waterfalls can be found right here. When you do decide to come to our area for some hiking and waterfalls, consider staying with us at Orchard Inn. Our lovely B&B is centrally located to many of these areas as well as other activities. We have rooms as well as cottages available which are perfect for couples or groups, as well as your 4-legged trail mate. Each morning with us starts with a delicious homemade breakfast that will certainly give you more than enough energy to tackle the falls. Contact us today and let us help you plan a wonderful trip to the North Carolina mountains.
Want to learn more about our area? Request your free Vacation Guide today!